Mon, Jul 29|
Summer Social Justice Bootcamp
FREE Social Justice Bootcamp for High School Students (REGISTRATION REQUIRED)
Time & Location
Jul 29, 2019, 8:00 AM – Aug 02, 2019, 6:00 AM
Sacramento, Sacramento, CA, USA
About The Event
This FREE week-long boot camp will introduce students to idea of social justice and provide them with an opportunity to learn about various aspects of social justice movements. Through informative and interactive workshops, and group project, students will improve their critical thinking and communication skills, and learn to work together as they study the social justice movement to reform the criminal justice system. As a part of the camp, students will also explore the use of social media in today’s world, and analyze the ways in which social media is used to affect social and political change. In addition, students will have an opportunity throughout the week to discuss other societal conditions that affect their respective communities and the broader African American community in California and the nation.
Bootcamp Issue Advocacy Group Project
Participants will work as teams to successfully plan and execute a group presentation that identifies a problem within society and their approach to correcting it. Students will develop the skills to effectively plan and disseminate their messages to their community. Each day, time will be allotted for participants to delve into the issues they are most passionate about as our staff guides them in preparing for and winning prizes and bragging rights. Each group will be responsible for identifying an issue, developing a strategy, and a communications plan.
• Increase student awareness and understanding of the idea of social justice.
• Foster understanding of the specific roles within social justice movements.
• Expose students to their history and industries with influence responsibilities within the social justice movement
• Empower students to advocate for their communities by sharpening their critical thinking and communication skills.
Student Eligibility Requirements
• Must commit to attending Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for all five days. NO EXCEPTIONS
• Must be in middle or high school
• Students must live in the greater Sacramento area or have family or friends who reside in the Sacramento area and
can provide lodging and transportation to and from camp for the week.
(Please note: This is a day camp. Overnight lodging and transportation to and from camp will not be provided unless
• Students will apply via Google Application due by Friday, July 8, 2019
• Students will be scheduled to interview with the selection committee by Monday, July 12, 2019
• Students will be notified by Monday, July 22, 2019 if they have been selected to participate.
*Only 16 students will be selected